Living in Southern California, we’re no strangers to the sun. Sun protection is something we have to think about year-round, but during the peak season when the UV Index is high and the weather makes us want to spend all our time outside, it is especially important. We’ve already spilled the beans that we fake a glow with self-tanning products, so it should come as no surprise that we lather on the SPF. Today, we’re sharing what, in our opinion are the best sunscreens for body and face. They go on easy, smell delicious, and are most importantly, are effective. Because, if it’s not going to protect you, what’s the use?
1. Sun Bum Mineral Lotion SPF 50 – Ocean Friendly, non-toxic AND it works! We love all Sun Bum products, but this one is a great mineral option that offers substantial protection.
2. Hint Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 – It smells of Pineapple, y’all! Plus, the spray application makes it so easy to put on. And who cares if it’s wafting through the air when it smells so good… the grapefruit scent is equally delicious!
3. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 – When your dermatologist makes you switch to a SPF 30 moisturizer instead of the 15 SPF you have been using, pick this one. We made the switch and use it daily!
4. Malin + Goetz SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer – A super hydrating moisturizer that also offers daily protection. It’s water-resistant and free of non-natural fragrance or coloring.
5. EIR Surf Mud – When you plan to spend the whole day at the beach, reach for this sunscreen. Not only does it have a cute name, but also it lasts all. day. long. Plus, it is 100% reef safe and contains Non-Nano Zinc for UV sun protection, chocolate for deep hydration, increased blood flow to the skin, and antioxidants that fight free radicals.
6. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Mist – Neutrogena does right by us when it comes to sheer sunscreen. This formula feels super light and isn’t sticky or greasy. The new design has a handle that makes it SO much easier to reach your back without having to stretch in awkward angles!
7. Clinique Sunscreen – Let’s be honest, we often don’t love the look of our makeup when we wear sunscreen underneath, but this one goes totally unnoticeable. It is the best under foundation sunscreen we have found!
8. Supergoop! Poof Part Powder SPF 45 – Can you believe it?! A sunscreen for your part—finally! Supergoop made a genius move when they made this sunscreen in a dry-shampoo-like formula so your part is protected, not greasy.
9. Glossier Invisible Shield– Our favorite thing about this sunscreen is that it is a gel formula and doesn’t leave white residue on your face! It also has a light fruity scent to it, which smells so, so good.
10. Colorscience Sunforgettable Sunscreen Brush – This face powder/sunscreen has been a cult favorite for some time now, and for good reason! For one thing, it’s a mineral makeup powder, and for another, it is SPF 50, so you can reapply and mattify at once.
11. Supergoop! Sun-defying Sunscreen Oil SPF 50 – Part of the reason we like tanning oil (we know, we know) is because of the pretty sheen it leaves on our skin. So this body oil with SPF 50 (!!) is a match made in heaven. Hydration and protection, plus a covetable glow.
12. Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50 – Don’t THINK we forgot about the babies! You know we care about our EWG ratings, so the fact that Thinkbaby has been top rated with a “1” since 2010, make it our go-to brand. It’s made of safe minerals and free of all the bad stuff, because our babes deserve nothing less!
13. Coola Suncare Guava Mango Body Sunscreen SPF 50 – Another one of our favorite suncare brands? Coola! This body sunscreen smells sooo good. Can you tell we like our tropical scents? And we love their Liplux Lip Treatment and Matte Mineral Face Sunscreen too.
14. Alba Botanica Spray Sunscreen SPF 50 – The Hawaiians know what’s up. This reef-friendly and biodegradable formula will transport you to the middle of the Pacific with it’s fresh coconut scent, and effectively protect you while it’s at it.