Have you heard of The Blog Societies? Style bloggers Jessica Camerata and Cathy Anderson, co-founded the site (and conferences!) to create a place where bloggers could learn about the industry and from each other. So cool right? These girl bosses are sharing how to work with a business partner based on their experience. As leading ladies of their respective blogs and The Blog Societies, we think they’re pretty qualified. And we also think you’ll love what they have to say! Plus, these snapshots into their daily routine are pretty cute too!
Looking for additional tips? These tips for working from home are also great for entrepreneurs!
Tell us a little bit more about Blog Societies and the mission behind starting this business.
The Blog Societies is a members-only community of active digital publishers located across the United States. Inspired by our desire to connect with other bloggers, and after finding that this area of the blogosphere was severely lacking, it was our mission to create a place where food, fashion, and other lifestyle publishers could both network and grow their brands.
How did you two come to work together?
About five years ago, Jessica reached out via Twitter with an invitation for drinks. While we were both Atlanta based style bloggers, we had never crossed paths. It was at drinks that we collectively recognized the need for a digital space where bloggers could easily find and connect with one another, in their own cities and beyond.
Had you worked with partners before?
No, we both started and evolved our personal blogs on our own. The Blog Societies has been our first co-founding experience!
You both have personal blogs as well! How do you balance your own site with your work on The Blog Societies?
We’ve consciously kept our personal blogs separate from The Blog Societies. We made a strategic decision in the very beginning not to take on similar collaborations and post similar content on both platforms so to create separation.
We set a consistent work schedule for ourselves. It helps us to define our workdays so that we can we can knock things out together for The Blog Societies, and then go our separate ways for our own blogs. Doing so helps to create balance while allowing us to give each business an equal focus.
What are your best tips for other co-founders out there looking to balance the work load effectively?
1. Outline clear and defined roles from the get-go. From the daily tasks to the big picture, ensure you know who’s responsible for what, and when. Then don’t be afraid to adjust as you grow.
2. Schedule regular meetings. This ensures that you’re both on the same page and are operating efficiently, both independently and as a team.
3. Develop an effective way of communicating. Figure out the best way to communicate, then respect it.
4. Establish a collective calendar. This allows for easy organization of yourself and business partner’s schedule.
5. Set short and long term goals, both individually and as a team. Be open about your objectives and how you reach them, and be sure to support each other’s individual goals.
6. Remember your manners. Be respectful and treat your business partner as you’d want to be treated yourself.
7. Don’t forget to celebrate! Celebrate both big and small achievements.
Celeb I would love to swap closets with:
Favorite Fall Fashion Trend:
Where I want to Travel Next: