Let’s raise a toast to Kara Stout for creating the most delicious looking cranberry Christmas pies – that are also gluten free! We’re sharing her world famous (in our eyes :)) recipe on our lifestyle blog today for you to whip up just in time for your Christmas festivities. P.S. check out her mini pumpkin pies if that’s more your flavor!
Kara says, ‘Tis the season for decadent desserts, including the oh-so-loved seasonal pie! Baking a pie can sound overwhelming, but luckily, this recipe is super simple and quick to make, not to mention delicious and light on the waistline.
These mini pies have minimal ingredients and are filled with festive ingredients like pears and cranberries. Instead of refined white sugar, coconut sugar is used. Coconut sugar is an unrefined, low-glycemic sugar that is great for baking and a great substitute for white sugar. Also, in place of cornstarch, flaxseed is used. Flaxseed is great for added fiber, nutrients, and healthy fat.
If you have a favorite homemade crust, you can certainly use that or to cut your baking time in half, I recommend a high-quality gluten-free crust that is pre-made.
2 gluten-free 9” pie shells
¾ cup coconut sugar
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flaxseed
1½ tsp vanilla
1½ large pears
2 cups fresh cranberries
6 mini tart pans
Mini Christmas cookie cutters
1. Defrost frozen crust on countertop until thawed.
2. Remove dough from pan and roll out with rolling pin.
3. Grease each mini tart pan with coconut oil.
4. Divide dough into six pieces and press evenly into mini pans.
5. Poke fork holes into crust and bake for 8 minutes on 375.
6. While crust is in oven, boil cranberries in water for about 4-5 minutes to soften before baking. Strain cranberries and set aside to cool.
7. In large bowl, mix together coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and flaxseed.
8. Chop and cube pears.
9. Add vanilla, pears and cranberries to mixing bowl and mix together with dry ingredients. Mix well.
10. Add filling to each crust-filled mini pan.
11. With the extra pie dough, use mini Christmas cookie cutters to top your mini pies.
12. Bake on 350 for 18 minutes. Keep a close eye on your pies and make sure to periodically check on them.
13. Take pies out of oven, let cool and enjoy!