On those mornings where we just want to indulge in syrup drenched banana pancakes, Kelly of Be Well by Kelly encourages us to eat smarter with something just as yummy. With this easy spinach frittata ready in just 10 minutes, you’ll satisfy morning hunger pains and feel energized and ready to take on the day!
Starting your day with healthy fat and protein will whittle your waist, stabilize blood sugar, lower the amount of calories you eat throughout the day and feed your brain for the long day ahead. Skipping breakfast or worse, eating a carbohydrate and sugar laden first meal can set you up for a bumpy ride ahead. The sugar and caffeine daily spikes and crashes lead to adrenal fatigue, headaches and horrible choices we can’t control.
Although most weekdays we recommend our beWELL clients start with a fiber and protein rich smoothie, when the weekend hits we want them to enjoy the warm satisfaction of brunch and never feel deprived. For brunch our guidelines remain the same: stabilize blood sugar with protein and fat. What has both? Eggs. Not only are the whites full of protein but egg yolks are one of the richest dietary sources of the B-complex vitamin choline, which is associated with better neurological function, reduced inflammation and improved mood. For our beBABY clients choline also helps with fetal brain development.
To beWELL, feed your body and brain with this easy spinach frittata, it’s sure to impress!
2 oz Raw Drunken Goat Cheese
2 cups Spinach
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. In a medium bowl, crack eggs and whisk to blend together. Add 1 oz of shredded goat cheese, salt and pepper and whisk to incorporate.
3. Heat 12 inch non-stick oven safe pan on medium heat.
4. Add ghee to pan and melt. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
5. Pour eggs over onions and cook for 4 minutes or until mixture has set on the bottom.
6. Sprinkle spinach on top of eggs. Place pan into oven and broil for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned and fluffy.
7. Slice and serve.