We can picture the house now – filled with candlelight, shades of cranberry and greenery adorning every surface, and the fragrant scents of cinnamon and pine filling the air. It’s Christmastime and this modern berry holiday dinner captures the feeling of the season so well. The decor is traditional, yet contemporary with calligraphy ornaments at each place setting and wild flowers making up the arrangements. And to top it all off decadent desserts adorn every surface – one of which you can learn how to make below! Kick off your holiday baking with the yummy brown butter cookie recipe…
The House of Lilac ladies share…
As a group of creatives with a shared love for the natural and contemporary, we came together to style a modern holiday shoot in a tropical Miami bungalow. Playing off traditional holiday paradigms, we aimed to honor the nostalgic feeling of the season — but in a new and refreshing way. For décor, Orchard + Olive created a toned-down version of the traditional Christmas palette by pairing teal, silver and gold colors with rich surfaces and simple lines.
We mixed varying flower textures and types for an organic and approachable schematic. Swapping traditional holiday plants like poinsettias and cedar with berries, eucalyptus and neutral flowers, we aimed to demonstrate how a holiday-inspired look can be achieved with everyday flowers — easily sourced from anywhere from the backyard to the grocery store.
Amplifying classic flavors and aromas through baking techniques such as roasting nuts and browning butter before baking, Bake Bar prepared a menu of classic cakes and desserts in reverence to old-time holiday rituals. Simply decorated with branches, berries and small flowers, the confections served as an extension of the modern minimalist décor.
Bake Bars Brown Butter Holiday Cookies
1 1/4 cup Sugar
8 oz Butter (2 Sticks)
4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp – Salt
1 Large Egg
1tsp Orange or Lemon zest
1. Place butter in saucepan over medium heat, until it has turned a light brown. It should smell nutty. Take off heat and refrigerate until solid.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix brown butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, or hand mixer. Mix on medium speed until fluffy and well combined.
4. Add Egg, vanilla, salt and zest until well incorporated.
5. Slowly add your flour until a soft dough forms, do not over mix.
6. Roll out your cookies with extra flour or powdered sugar and use your favorite holiday cutter.
7. Bake 8-10 Minutes or until golden brown.
What is your favorite holiday cookie recipe?
One response to “Modern Berry Holiday Dinner + Brown Butter Cookie Recipe”
That tart though! Mary Berry would be so proud!