As we make our way through another year of wedding season, those bridesmaid dresses are slowly but surely taking over our closets! We know you’ve heard people say time and time again that you can really wear your bridesmaid dress again IRL. Well, we wanted to turn to the experts to find out how exactly to make that long peach chiffon dress work for a different occasion. Read on for 6 expert tips on how to take your bridesmaid dress from wedding party to wedding guest!
1. Make it shorter – “Altering the dress to a midi-length or knee-length is an easy fix for a completely different look!” – Joanna August
2. Add lots of jewelry – “Most brides have a vision in their mind when you’re a bridesmaid, but as a wedding guest, you have more liberty to show off your style. Deck yourself out in fun jewelry, pile on chunky bracelets or drop leaf earrings! Layering lots of dainty necklaces is also chic and perfect for both casual and formal events.” – Azazie
3. Accessorize – “Add a clutch – not only does it serve as a useful place to carry lip gloss and more, but a bright colored clutch can add a pop of color to a darker formal gown. Adding a minimal belt can also help ‘dress down’ a former bridesmaid dress!” –Azazie
4. Split up separates – “Pairing a maxi-skirt with a new satin top or vice versa is a great way to get maximum use out of your ceremony pieces.” – Joanna August
5. Be black-tie ready – “Instead of scrambling for a floor-length gown last minute, dust off your maid-of-honor dress and glam it up with earrings and killer shoes. Dressing for events with a specific dress code is stressful, but chances are you’re already prepared with a bridesmaid dress in your closet!” – Joanna August
6. Mix up the makeup – “Depending on the formality of the event and how comfortable you feel, you can get sultry with a smokey eye or even vampy red lipstick! Bridesmaid no more!” – Azazie
See, you really can re-wear your bridesmaid dress as a guest!