We are firm believers that a great summer internship can set you up for success in your future career endeavors. Whether you stay with the company or not, there are valuable tools and lessons you will takeaway with you. Make the most of your internship this summer with these tips that will help you provide maximum value to the company you’re working for and walk away reaping the most benefit. Read on for the steps you can take to ensure a successful internship.
1. Show up! It’s always okay to request time off for family events, summer travel, etc., but you’ll make a great impression if you’re reliable and consistent. The more you’re there, the more you can learn and be a part of the team!
2. Challenge Yourself by Trying Something New. Ask for a new task every day or every week that you are inexperienced in or ask to assist with something that you would like to learn more about. This will help you develop new skills and get outside your comfort zone. It can be difficult to know what exactly you want your career to be without trying a few different things.
3. Ask Questions. There’s no such thing as a stupid question. It will help you learn more about the industry, increase confidence in your skills, and become more aware all together. Plus, it will show you are interested & eager to learn. Questions are a win/win.
4. Make Connections. Be friendly & socialize with your fellow interns, coworkers, and supervisors. Ask your coworkers if they would like to go on a walk or get lunch. Getting to know your community will help you feel surrounded and supported instead of isolating yourself to the corner office. Having friends in the workplace will make you feel more comfortable in the office and make your experience more positive overall. Keep in contact after the internship has ended to keep the door open for future job opportunities, references, and collaborations. Networking is everything.
5. Ask For Feedback. In order to make sure that you are doing a great job with the responsibilities you were given, get regular feedback from your manager so you know you’re meeting expectations. This will help your job performance, increase your skills, confidence, and heighten your self awareness.
6. Share Your Ideas. If you have ideas that could help the business, speak up! Your ideas might be amazing and could provide a platform to make a big impact as an intern.
7. Volunteer to help assist on as many projects as possible! Use this time to get as much experience as you can. Anytime there’s an extra project/event/opportunity, raise your hand! Or ask if there’s anything else you can help with! It can be easy to settle into a routine and be happy with the work that you are already given, but being eager to help not only shows your workplace that you are dedicated and passionate, but also helps you as a professional continue to grow your skillset.
8. Volunteer to attend those networking events. Strengthening your own skills isn’t the only goal of an internship. Meeting other leaders in the industry can also be a great way to get to know people who may be able to help you later on down the road.
9. Be Positive! Embrace every ask with positivity because even if you do not want to do a task, every single one will help you grow and learn!
10. Be committed. Trying to juggle school, work AND an internship? While it is possible, it’s definitely hard. The awesome thing about a summer internship is that it leaves a lot more space to breathe since school usually isn’t in session. Our advice would be instead of piling things onto your plate, allow your internship to be the main thing you invest your time into. This leaves you less stressed and gives you more room to truly grow in all that you are learning!
11. Be willing to learn. Coming in with an open and moldable mind will help you grow immensely. Even if you have had a number of years studying this field, when it comes down to it there’s still so much more to gain from real world experience.
We hope these tips help you make the most of your internship!